Thursday 24 July 2008

Bringing Memories to Life

Since I got back I've noticed slight changes in my tastes and attitudes towards food. After having fasted for the first time on DTS I've continued that discipline. I've noticed that I no longer like marmite as much as I did before I left, and I don't like vegemite as much as I did when I was away. I love having fruit around the house (not bought by me!) all the time and have rediscovered my love for yoghurt.

Diet seems so connected with community, lifestyle and weather. I know that my Friday night (at youth club) diet is far worse than my diet the rest of the week. I know that I'm more likely to eat a proper lunch at a sensible time if I'm eating with others.

So, in all this thinking about food and how it is such a bit part of being somewhere, I started to miss Mi Goreng noodles. I didn't eat them that much in Australia, but they were an ongoing joke and I ate them when they were there. So today I went into the Chinese/Asian supermarket in town on a Mi Goreng hunt.

As I walked in I saw what looked like packets of instant noodles on one of the aisles, so I went down there but...no Mi Goreng. However, I picked up a packet and realised that these weren't the dried noodles so there was still hope. I moved along to the next aisle and my heart leaped...but alas, it was a similarly packaged brand of instant noodles called 'Maggi'. Determined, I stood and carefully considered each shelf, not wanting to miss what I was looking for. Then, there on the bottom shelf at the right hand side was the Mi Goreng! They sold 3 flavours (I chose Original, as always) and they were only 20p each. I bought 2 packets.

So I had Mi Goreng for lunch and it was good. It reminded me of weekends in Townsville. I was disappointed though because I didn't have any dried onions with my seasoning, and that was my favourite thing about these noodles. I'm hoping that this is just a rubbish batch, not par for the course for Mi Goreng for export to Europe.

No comments: