Friday 18 January 2008

DTS Week 1

I have survived week one! (Huge thanks to everyone who's praying for me!)

It's hard to know where to start with everything, but everyone has questions, so I'll try and answer some of the common ones:

Living:I am living in a house with 9 other girls and one of our team leaders. I share a bedroom with 5 of those girls. Everyone is friendly and AC (Air conditioning) is my new best friend. The shower is clean, in a bathroom AND has a real door - this automatically makes the comfort level here far, far higher than on previous foreign missions excursions. Finally, the house is about a 45 second walk from the base and 10 minutes from the local shopping mall. I like where I live!

Computer/Phone access: I have access to the internet and a pay phone (I don't know if it receives incoming calls). The computer is slow enough that it's just typing the 'incoming' from a line or two ago. Hence, my blogs will not be as beautifully written as I would like. I will start posting photos at some point, but will need to use another computer to do this, this is the reason for the delay.

The Course: We've only just started, but I'll try and give a bit of an overview of what we're actually doing here:
We have lectures for between 2 and 3 hours 5 mornings per week. Last week we had lots of orientation info, talks on 'hearing the voice of God' and a session on evangelism. The lectures are a little bit like going to Church, except that we have workbook questions to answer too, and we are usually given opportunities to put things into practice very quickly. For example, the day we had the evangelism and 'chatting to people you don't know' lecture, we went out that evening and hung out with kids at a skatepark by the beach. I love how the lectures relate to real opportunities, and that we're encouraged in our work books and journals to discuss the practical application of what we've been learning.
As well as lectures, we have homework-type things to process, a couple of book reports to write etc.
The course is, essentially about 'knowing God and making Him known'. Therefore, our lectures and learning will mainly cover what it is to be, and live, as a Christian, and how and why we encourage others to know Him too.
I have afternoons free. We each have a work duty, but I'm on the dinner clean up team, so seem to have a lot of free time! (getting back into the student lifestyle!)
Other things we do: morning exercise, worship and prayer with the whole base, assisting in the weekly Saturday afternoon/evening youth programme, evangelism on Friday evenings, small group sessions and one-on-one-sessions with our leaders.
I hope this has given you all some idea of what I'm doing here!

One last thing I'd like to highlight in this blog (I'll try and make the next one mone interesting and less just information)is that a local (back home) website asked me a couple of weeks ago if I would submit one of the photos from my flickr for inclusion on their website. I got an email this morning to say that my photo will now be included in the Schmap Sheffield guide. I am rather excited about this! Please go here to see the published photo (it's one of a number of images that roll through, so you may have to wait a while for mine to come up).

For those who would rather just see the photo, here it is!

Supertram

No comments: